Monday, May 2, 2011

34w1d: Deliciousness

A couple of weeks ago, I was feeling like I needed something to look forward to. I decided to be optimistic and plan that I was going to make it to 34 weeks, so we made dinner reservations at a place David has been wanting to go to for ages, but it's generally really hard to get a reservation. Sunday nights are less difficult, so last night we had a date for 7:00! Time to celebrate making it to 34 weeks and to an (almost complete) bathroom remodel!

David dropped me off at the entrance and I was seated right away. David even found parking pretty quickly (usually impossible in that part of the city).

The menu was full of lots of delicious-sounding options. I had a salad to start, made with pickled beets with gem lettuce, hazelnuts and cacioricotta. The beets were amazing--three different kinds, yum. And the hazelnuts were so good with the cheese. David started with a gnocchi filled with chicken and pine nuts, I think. For an entree I had braised chicken with escarole, spring onions and fava beans with a side of erbette chard with pine nuts, currants, lemon and garlic. The chicken was perfectly cooked and I really liked the fava beans. The chard was just fine, but I figured it was healthy. David had a pizza (the restaurant is known for its pizza) of Salsiccia – fennel sausage, spring onions, mozzarella, tomato, grana, garlic, onions, chilies, olive oil. It was huge--he is going to be eating leftovers for lunch--and he really enjoyed it. He said the sausage had a nice spice to it. We shared a carafe of Giovanni Cherchi, ‘Pigalva’, Vermentino di Sardegna, Sardegna 2007, a bright Italian white with a low alcohol content and floral notes. David had 2/3 of it, but I did enjoy it. I was glad to see no judgmental looks from anyone else in the (extremely crowded) dining room!

And then....dessert!! I ordered ricotta cheesecake with almond crumble and rhubarb compote and David ordered the strawberry shortcake with almond pound cake, vanilla crema and saba. The strawberries were perfect, but my cheesecake was the best thing we had the whole night. It was soooo good. I had a feeling it would also be GD friendly because of the cheese and almonds. I had a couple bites of the pound cake; it was okay but I'm glad I had the cheesecake.

My dietitian had told me that if I splurged on food I should go for a walk afterward. So we walked about seven city blocks--a very far distance for me! And by walk I mean strolled at a very slow crawl. But it paid off--when I took my reading when I got home, it was at 101! Granted we'd been eating for a full two hours, but I was still really surprised and pleased.

We have another fancy dinner date planned for Saturday. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment