Friday, June 10, 2011

Nursemaid

More fun with breastfeeding....
First, I think I should get to double count the time I've been nursing because I'm feeding twins. So instead of it sounding like I have nursed for 10 days, it should count as 20 days. On the other hand, it's also nice to be able to claim that I have kept three people alive for 10 days! As Vicky on RHOOC would say, Woo-Hoo!
The method of feeding them at the breast during the day and pumping at night for the next night seems to be working well. David or MIL can help with the night feedings then so I can get some more sleep. I do have to wake up to pump, yes, but it takes less time than feeding them and is much easier. MIL claims that eventually they'll gobble everything they want from me in 10 minutes, but we certainly are not there yet.
Tandem nursing is okay. I think Ingrid does a better job with it than Theo does; I'm not sure he likes the football hold. The My Brest Friend Twin pillow is a godsend though. I don't think I would be able to do it at all without it--so far that would have to rank as my most useful piece of baby gear, with the swing a close second.

In other updates, my poor little Ingrid seems to have a blocked tear duct and has to have eye drops for a week. It's so funny--we were most worried about Theo because he's so little, but it's Ingrid who has had the medical issues. Between the jaundice and her eye, she's been to the doctor or Children's Hospital three times now besides her checkups. I guess Theo had to fight more in the womb, so he's a fighter now too. Ingrid is also a bit congested, so she's been getting the nasal aspirator too. Poor little sweetheart! I just hope she doesn't pass anything on to Theo. In good news, her weight at the doctor's today was up to 7 lbs, 2.6 oz! She is over her birthweight well before two weeks. That was a big thrill for me. She doesn't have to come back for the checkup on Monday with Theo, so that's good. I know the mantra is if the doctor isn't worried, I shouldn't be either, but I just want my little girl to feel better and be her sweet self again.

Ingrid's latest has convinced me I need to find a PCP. I haven't had one.....since high school? I used the medical centers in college and grad school very infrequently, and the only time I've needed a non-OB/GYN practitioner since then was when I broke my arm in DC and when I had the infected bee sting a few years ago. But with all the colds and coughs the kids will be getting....time for mama to get her a doctor too, I suppose!

1 comment:

  1. i think it DEFINITELY counts as 20 days. maybe 30...

    ReplyDelete